Marketing In The News.

 


I originally was interested in this story since I used to be very in involved in competitive gaming, and I also have a lot of interest in outdoors and exploration. But my biggest interest came from the crossover between the 2, it's not often that these are grouped together, and often seen in stereotypical opposites. This was very interesting to me, and I think, even though both are large audiences, together, can be a pretty niche area to designate marketing / ad campaigns to, but after reading more, that wasn’t exactly the case. 




According to "MarketingDive" A online, in-depth journalism site that gives trusted insight into news and trends that are currently shaping the marketing and advertising world: "PepsiCo’s Mtn Dew is upping its marketing to niche audiences with the launch of two yearlong rewards programs that target consumers interested in the outdoors or gaming.", Said Jessica Deyo. When I first saw this article I assumed that it meant mixing both of these Reward programs, but they are actually separate.

 Starting with the "Outdoors Gear Program", this is a reward based program for people who are interested in, obviously drinking mountain dew, and physical, outdoor, hobbies; like camping, hiking, fishing, and biking. When interested customers purchase a specially marked, 12, 15, or 24 can pack of Mountain Dew, they will find codes on the packaging that can be used to redeem online (dewoutdoors.com) for points. These points can be used to purchase items such as: Go Pros, North Face sleeping bags, and camp duffels. Engel Coolers, Hydro Flasks, and even National Park Annual passes. This isn't the first time that Mountain dew has had an Outdoor pivoted Ad Campaign so they must have an idea of how well it would work.

 Then we have the Mountain Dew "Gaming Rewards Program", this is nothing new for mountain dew, they have been partnering with Xbox and playing into the gaming + Mountain Dew trope for as long as I can remember. This time they've again, geared up with Xbox to supply some gaming gear to those who purchase Marked 20oz Bottles of Mountain Dew. Buyers will end up entering the codes they find on the packaging on MTNDewGaming.net, to receive points they can use in the "Vault". Similar to the "Outdoors Gear Program". Mtn Dew’s Overdrive, Purple Thunder, Frost Bite and Maui Burst flavors bought at either: Casey’s, Circle K, Kroger, Walmart and Dollar General will give two-times the amount of points for the "Gaming Rewards Program". 

This program is an attempt to strengthen Mountain Dews relationship with the gaming community, Mountain dew is looked at as the flagship drink of gamers, and this program only helps to push towards that idea. This can have some negative affect due to stereotypes surrounding that community but on the other hand, they are promoting to their other prime demographic, the bold, outdoorsy, and sport related side with the "Outdoors Gear Program". "Do the Dew" perfectly encapsulates this side of their company, and the program does a great job to push that narrative. It also helps to broaden the spectrum a bit of the mass market, and averages consumers idea and personal image of Mountain Dew. 

As someone who doesn’t particularly like Mountain Dew, or even soda in general, I think that this is a pretty great marketing campaign, most people like to get something for "free" or get a reward for the dedication they’ve given to something. That’s the easy part, picking a demographic to narrow down that market is a lot harder. I think they've done a great job at choosing gaming, where quick, cheap, and easy snacks are stereotypically a gamers favorite choice, and with the collaborations they’ve done, Mountain Dew is impossible, to separate from the gaming community. I know they have been successful, and done it before, with advertising to more outdoorsy folk, but I do think it is a bit contradictory, when I think of the outdoors, and things like hiking, fishing, mountain biking, I do not think of Soda, that’s a hard sell in that market. I think of water, or electrolyte based drinks that sell an idea of a "healthier" alternative. They already had a great niche market with gaming, but approaching a new, much more broad market can be risky. Not that risk is bad, but when a company as big as Mtn Dew loses money, its usually a lot, and corporations that big, only care about money.

 If I was head of this campaign, I would change the direction of its "Outdoors Gear Program" to shrink down its target audience, to action sports, specifically relating to off-roading / dirt biking. These demographics are far more likely to consume soda, and or energy drinks (Mountain Dew has their own line) then an average healthier, more outdoorsy hiker. I think the imaging within those action sports is also much bolder, which reminds me more of mountain dew. I know they have done somethings in the past with those audiences, and I'd assume their conversion to sales is much higher. In the end, I think this campaign was a great way to broaden, and strengthen, pre-existing audiences that they capitalize off. 

Marketing Dive, Jessica Deyo: https://www.marketingdive.com/news/mtn-dew-gaming-outdoor-rewards-programs-pepsico/711186/ 
Xbox: https://www.xbox.com/en-US 
Mtn Dew, SWOT Analysis: https://www.mbaskool.com/brandguide/food-and-beverages/6432-mountain-dew.html 
Mtn Dew, Action Sport Example: https://www.pakwheels.com/blog/mountain-dew-presents-3rd-ghaan-river-bed-dirt-bike-rally-2019/

Comments

Popular Posts